Aplusix 3.1 - Installation Manual
English translation by Arnaud Delobelle
Document written with epsilonwriter
A server installation can be performed with a purchase code starting with the letter "S". In this case, an identifier and a password are required to use Aplusix.
A standalone installation can be performed with a purchase code starting with a letter other than "S". In this case, users can create usernames to use Aplusix.
Up to 6 usernames can be created with a "Home" licence. Other licences only allow one username to be created.
An installation on autonomous computer can be conbined with an installation on a USB key (or a removable hard disk). The USB key allows then to run on Aplusix on any computer.
This type of installation will typically be performed on a teacher or student's home computer, or on school standalone computers. It can be carried out with a home, single-user, teacher, or researcher purchase code, but not with a server code. If no purchase code is entered, the application will work for a few days free evaluation period. If a school has purchased a site licence, they will have been provided with a server purchase code as well as a single-user one.
If a previous version of Aplusix (Aplusix Standard, Aplusix II or Aplusix 3 beta) is already installed on the computer, it can coexist with the new version and both versions can be uninstalled independently.
You should follow the instructions in this section if you have never installed Aplusix 3 on your computer or if you have only installed Aplusix 3 beta.
You have to be on an Administrator Windows account to install Aplusix (not on an account having limited rights).
You can make an installation on the computer combined in an installation on a USB key. In that case, Aplusix will work on your key even if you change computer. The key must not be locked.
You can also make an installation on the computer only and put Aplusix on an USB key later.
1. If you make an USB installation, use the computer on which you want to have Aplusix besides the USB key, place the key USK on this computer, create a folder "Aplusix" on the USB key, if possible at the root; answer 'yes' when Aplusix asks if it is a USB installation. Otherwise, create a new folder called "Aplusix" in a location which is accessible by all potential users (C: is recommended if there are more than one user).
Answer 'no' when Aplusix asks if it is a USB installation.
2. Download or copy the Aplusix3.zip archive into this folder.
3. Unzip the archive.
4. Start Aplusix (you must be connected to the internet).
You should be presented with an installation window at this point. If you have a key or a purchase code, select "Enter a key or a licence purchase code", otherwise you can try Aplusix for a few days without charge.
5. Enter the key or code. If the code is correct, Aplusix will give you details about the licence and you can then proceed to activate it.
6. The start window opens. Click "New username" and enter a username.
Aplusix is ready!
If you made a USB installation, copy the folder "Aplusix" to the disk of the computer, in a directory accessible by all users. Aplusix can also be used in this place (but the files recorded when you will use it here will not be on the USB key).
7. Read the notes below.
Follow the instructions in this section if you already have Aplusix 3 on your computer and you want to update it (or if you have decided to install it again). No purchase code is needed in this case.
It is possible to keep the current installation on the computer and to install the new one in a different folder. No purchase code is needed.
Proceed like this:
In case the previous installation was a USB installation, use the USB key (so that the USB key takes advantage of the update), the USB key being placed on the computer which was used to install Aplusix on this key. If the USB key does not exist any more, use the computer which was used ti install Aplusix.
1. If you prefer to suppress the old version, empty the folde "Aplusix", otherwise create a new directory for the new version of Aplusix.
2. Download or copy the Aplusix3.zip archive into this folder.
3. Unzip the archive.
4. Start Aplusix. No purchase code is needed.
The start window opens. Click on "New username" and enter a username. Aplusix is ready
In case the previous installation was a USB installation, copy the folder "Aplusix" to the disk of the computer, in a directory accessible by all users.
If your former version of Aplusix was one 3.0x, you can make an USB key with Aplusix which will works in a autonomous way as it is indicated "Make an USB installation after".
Follow these instructions if you already have installed Aplusix 3 (other than Beta) and you want to activate a new licence because yours has expired or will expire soon.
In case of a USB installation, use the USB key, the USB key being placed on the computer which was used to install Aplusix on this key. If the USB key does not exist any more, use the computer which was used to install Aplusix.
1. Start Aplusix and select a username. If the former licence has not expired yet, in the "File" menu, select "Install a licence"
2. Enter the key or the purchase code. If the code is valid, Aplusix will give you details about the licence. You can then proceed to activate it.
If you did not make a USB installation, it is in particular the case if you made an update of Aplusix 3.0x towards Aplusix 3.1, you can make a USB key with Aplusix which will run in an autonomous way so (this can be made only only once):
1. Copy the directory containing Aplusix on the USB key, if possible at the root.
2. Start Aplusix from the USB key (it is the computer which contains the key which allows it to start). Go to the menu file and choose "Make an autonomous USB key". If this item is not visible, it is because the operation is impossible, either because it was already made, or the path of the directory of Aplusix on the USB key contains invalid characters like = or ¤
If your establishment buys licenses of Aplusix to install the software on autonomous computers of the establishment or for student at home, and if you want to customize the settings before the installation, you can proceed as indicated below.
Previously, it is necessary to know that for "autonomous computer" installations, when they are running, there is in the "classes" directory a "home"directory which contains a directory for every user. This directory contains a file "Parametres.sim" which contains the settings for all the users.
With a classic installation, the user can change the settings from Aplusix with the menu "Settings | All settings". It is possible to mask the menu "Settings | All settings"by placing a file named "lockparam.sim" (without quotation marks) in the "home" directory.
1. Case A: with an already operational Aplusix on an autonomous computer, configure the settings as you wish by using the menu "Settings | All settings". Then, with Windows, copy the file "Parametres.sim" which is in the "home" directory of the "classes" directory towards a location XX of your choice.
Case B: with an already operational Aplusix on a server, start Aplusix as teacher on a class CCC of your choice and configure the settings as you wish by using the menu "Settings | All settings". With Windows, copy the file " Parametres.sim " which is in the CCC directory of the "classes" directory towards a location XX of your choice.
2. Create a directory in a location of your choice, download the archive Aplusix3.zip towards this directory, unzip the archive then delete the archive.
3. If Aplusix.exe is in the directory, you are at the right place, otherwise take place in the directory containing Aplusix.exe; it also contains directories "Algebre" and "Ressources".
4. If there is no "classes" directory, create it and take place in this directory.
5. If there is no "home"directory in the "classes" directory, create it.
6. Copy the file "Parametres.sim" you placed in XX to the "home" directory.
7. If you want that the students cannot modify the parameters, create a file "lockparam.sim" in the "home" directory, for that, use the right mouse button, choose "New" then "Text document" and rename the obtained fil as "lockparam.sim" (do not leave a ".txt" extension behind).
8. Then zip the directory containing Aplusix.exe and all other files and directories with an adequate software or by making a right click on the directory and by choosing "Send to" then "Compressed file".
9. Distribute the archive obtained to your students.
If you want to have a desktop shortcut to Aplusix, open the folder containing the Aplusix application. Right click on the Aplusix icon and select "create shortcut" in the contextual menu. A new icon named "Shortcut to Aplusix" will be created. You can now drag and drop this shortcut to the desktop.
This operation can be repeated for each user account.
There is no risk: when an Aplusix licence is installed on your computer, deleting or otherwise modifying Aplusix will not deactivate the licence. You can always reinstall the application without providing a key or purchase code (Aplusix will use the currently activated licence).
On a standalone computer, it is possible to have a "Single-user" licence, where only one username can be created, or a "Home" licence allowing up to six usernames.
Important: if your purchase code allows several installations (on several computers), do not exceed the number of installations that you have been allocated (usually just one), otherwise other people using the same code will be unable to install Aplusix as you will have used their licence.
A code can allow several installations when it has been purchased by a school for a group of students or when several families have bought a number of licences together.
The AplusixAdim application included in the archive is not needed when Aplusix is installed on a standalone computer
This type of installation is performed on a server, typically in a school. A server licence purchase code is needed. When a school buys a "site licence", they are provided with two purchase codes: one for a server licence and another one for a single-user licence.
Follow the instructions in the section "Installing Aplusix for the first time" if Aplusix (Aplusix Standard or Aplusix II) has never been installed on the server before.
Otherwise, you can keep the existing version and still follow the instructions in the following section. In this case, the new version will not use the files of the existing version (classes, teachers, exercises) and its links. Another option is to "update" the existing version to the new one; this will allow you to keep all the files and links from the existing version.
You must be connected to the internet in order to install Aplusix (to download the software and to start AplusixAdmin for the first time).
In certain cases, the installation fails because of a proxy or of a firewall. If it occurs, send a message to email@example.com
In a classic installation, all files are in a folder which is accessible by all students. This means that students can cause damage to some files which are needed for Aplusix to run. It is unlikely to happen, in particular if access is given via a shortcut on the student's desktop or start menu. However, it is advisable to backup the installation once it is finished, so that it can be restored if needed.
1. Download the Aplusix3.zip archive onto the server.
2. Move the archive into a folder which students have read and write access to.
3. Unzip the archive
4. Start AplusixAdmin, the Aplusix administration application.
An installation window opens. You need a server key or purchase code.
5. Enter the key or purchase code (you can use copy and paste). If the code is valid, AplusixAdmin will give you details about your licence and then you can proceed to install Aplusix. As this is a server installation, AplusixAdmin creates a file named "CleServeur.sim" containing the key in the "Classes" folder. It is advisable to store a copy of this file in a location which is not accessible by students.
6. A window opens asking you to create the first teacher-administrator account. Fill in the form (the email address is optional - keep the "administrator" box ticked) and make sure that you will not forget the password.
7. A window opens asking for information about your school. Fill in the form.
8. The AplusixAdmin main window opens. It allows you to create classes and teacher accounts. Create a class called "CCC" in order to finish the installation. You will use this class for tests and will be able to delete it later. Quit AplusixAdmin.
9. While still on the server, start Aplusix. Click "New student", select class "CCC" and enter "aaa" as username, first name, surname and password. Quit Aplusix.
10. Log in as a student on a computer accessible by students (no Windows administrator rights) and find the Aplusix application on the server. If you cannot find it, it is probably located in a folder to which students have no read access. If this is the case, you can either change the student access rights of the folders or move the Aplusix folder to an area which is accessible by students (no need to reinstall).
11. Start Aplusix. Enter "aaa" as both username and password. You should then be able to use Aplusix. Solve a question then check that your work has been saved in "Past Activities". You have now checked that a student can use Aplusix correctly from a student computer.
12. Quit Aplusix and restart it. Click "New student", select class "CCC" and enter "bbb" in the username, surname, first name and password fields. Aplusix should accept these. You have now checked that students can create new student accounts from a student computer.
Aplusix is now ready. The following remains to be done:
a) create classes with AplusixAdmin
b) create teacher accounts with AplusixAdmin
c) make a copy of the Aplusix folder and store it in a location which is not accessible by students.
As things stand, when students want to use Aplusix, they have to fetch it from the server.
In order to avoid this, you can place a shortcut to Aplusix on each student's desktop. You may have a tool to perform this task easily. Otherwise, an IT technician may be able to do this for all students. If not, you can always ask students to create the shortcut themselves the first time they use Aplusix, as follows:
Right-click the on Aplusix icon on the server and select "Copy" in the contextual menu. Then right-click on your desktop and select "Paste shortcut" in the contextual menu. Do not select "Paste" as it would copy the application rather than link to it.
In a secure installation, students are unable to delete files which are crucial to the correct operation of the application. It requires a good knowledge of folder access rights and of file paths. It is more complex and makes updating more difficult. If you are unsure about it, it is recommended that you perform a classic installation and make a copy of the Aplusix folder. This will allow the application to be restored if needed.
A. Perform steps 1 to 8 of the classic installation, as described in section 2.1, starting from a folder to which students have read access BUT NOT write access.
B. Move the "Classes", "Exercices", and "Professeurs" folders into folders to which students have both read and write access. You can move them to the same folder or to different ones.
C. Open the file "LesChemins.txt", which is in the "Resources" folder (using Notepad for example, but avoiding Word) and edit the paths to "Classes", "Exercices", and "Professeurs" - you can use relative or absolute paths. Save the file.
D. Check that you can start AplusixAdmin using your teacher account. If not, the "Professeurs" paths must be incorrect.
E. Check that Aplusix starts, click "New student" and check that the "CCC" class is an available option.
F. Check that you can use the "aaa" student account with Aplusix on a student computer.
G. Check that you can create a new "bbb" student account with Aplusix on a student computer.
Follow the instructions in this section if Aplusix 3 is already installed on your server and you want to update it (or if you want to reinstall it). No purchase code is needed.
1. In the Aplusix folder, create a new folder named AplusixXXX where XXX is the date (e.g. Aplusix12102010)
2. Move into AplusixXXX all other folders within Aplusix except AplusixXXX, Classes, Exercices and Professeurs and move allthe files: Aplusix.exe, AplusixAdmin.exe, etc.
3. Unzip the Aplusix.zip archive into a temporary folder and move Algebre, Ressources, Aplusix, AplusixAdmin, etc... (everything apart from Classes, Exercices and Professeurs) into the Aplusix folder.
4. version 3,1 contains new settings allowing to activate or not the companions and to choose their functions. The new classes will take advantage of these parameters. If you want that the existing classes also use these settings, it is necessary to copy the file "Parametres.sim" which is in the "Algebre" directory to every concerned class so that it replaces the former file of the same name. It installs parameters by default that you can custom to classes by starting Aplusix with a teacher identifier on every concerned class.
5. Check that AplusixAdmin is working correctly on the server.
6. Check that Aplusix is working correctly on a student computer.
Follow the instructions below if Aplusix 3 (other than Beta) is already installed on your computer and you want to activate a new licence because yours has expired or will expire soon.
1. Start AplusixAdmin.
2. Select "Install a licence" in the "File" menu.
3. Enter the new key or purchase code. If the code is valid, Aplusix will display details about the licence. You can then activate the new licence.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Aplusix licence is installed in the file named "CleServeur.sim" located within the "Classes" folder. You can keep a copy of this file in a secure location.
You can move the Aplusix folder if you wish to do so. Be aware that it will invalidate all desktop shortcuts.
It is advisable to create a (preferably zipped) copy of the Aplusix folder once the installation process has been completed.
You can periodically make a zipped archive of the Aplusix folder. It is a good idea to delete obsolete student files beforehand using AplusixAdmin.
You can make from time to time a cleaning of pupils' files with AplusixAdmin.